Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Top Notch Customer Service

So for those that don't already know, I work in customer service. It's nothing special, just a small little electronics shop. I've been working there for about 5 years now and to be honest, it has gotten really repetitive. On top of that, I work in the smallest department so on average I probably see like max 10 customers. With that said, my motivation to provide top notch customer service has gone away. I feel like every customer that comes in to ask me questions is just a bother and I get annoyed so easily. I don't know what it is but for some reason customers always come into the store with a sense of entitlement and that they can get whatever the hell they want. Not with me buddy. In a way it's kind of a good thing I guess. I don't get pushed around by annoying customers who try to come in and get deals by complaining. I've been working here for years so I MUST be doing something right.

About a week ago my lovely g-friend decided to visit me at work on a night that was hella boring. It was a nice treat. She came with her friends and kept me company for a bit. It was good because it helped make the boring night a little more interesting. However, as I was with them, a customer came in and needed help. So I helped the guy out but was very uninterested and gave crap customer service. The dude probably noticed but to be honest, I didn't really care. Along with the guy, my g-friend and her friends also noticed and asked me why I do that. I told them i don't really care and how customer's frustrate me. They told me that maybe I should be a bit nicer to customers. Pft ya right.

Literally the next day I went to the bank and the teller seemed so uninterested and didn't really care much about her job. I remember saying to myself "man if she doesn't want to be here then why doesn't she just quit or something instead of being rude to me, jeeze". Then it hit me; I do the same thing! Do customer's feel the way I just did when I give bad service?! To be honest, I didn't like the feeling at all! I began to feel real bad. For all I know, all the customers that experience my shit service are going back and thinking "why does this guy even work here???".

Since that day, every time I help a customer I keep my experience in mind. No body wants bad costumer service especially if they don't deserve it. We don't go into malls and other retail stores expecting to get bad customer service. Maybe this was all a sign? Perhaps I was meant to receive this terrible service so that I can see the fault of my ways. Had I not had a crappy bank teller, I would know how crappy the people I help feel. It definitely lead to a lot of thinking and contemplating. Perhaps it was time I change my ways. Perhaps it's time I started talking to customers like I was actually interested in what they had to say and give top notch customer service! But then again, I'm waaayyy too lazy for that. I'll just say "fuck it" and stick with what I'm doing. It's just easier..

1 comment:

  1. i feel so honoured...
    when you get fired i'll be sure to remind you of our advice :)

    ReplyDelete